My mother just returned my newly refurbished rocking chair for Nealy's room, and the end result is amazing. It was originally a caned chair, although it has not had caning in it for more years than we know (Mom cannot remember if it has been caned in her lifetime). It has been upholstered several times over the years, but it is much more beautiful caned which my mother generously had done for me. If I was a better blogger, I would have a before picture, so I hope you can still appreciate the after shot without the before. I'll tell you that it has most recently been upholstered in icky green velvet.
Here it is with the cushions on it that my mother made to match Nealy's room:
The coolest part about this rocking chair is that it belonged to my great grandmother Mamie. I like to think of all of the babies in my family who were rocked to sleep in this chair, including me and my sister and brother, my mother, my grandfather, and all my cousins and assorted aunts and uncles. If that chair could talk.....
Jacks also has an heirloom rocker in his chair which belonged to Joe's great-grandmother. There's something so special about having that kind of personal family history in each of my child's rooms. Here's Jacks's rocker with his super cute cowboy themed cushions:
I hope I'm carrying on a long and wonderful family tradition by keeping these rockers in action.
Jacks also has an heirloom rocker in his chair which belonged to Joe's great-grandmother. There's something so special about having that kind of personal family history in each of my child's rooms. Here's Jacks's rocker with his super cute cowboy themed cushions:
3 comments:
That is so neat...
Wow. That is a great old chair.
Don't they rock, heirloom rockers that is (had to throw that in there). I have my moms old rocker that was hers when she was a child and she used for me and I have used for both of mine. I think it an awesome thing to pass down to our kids, they will appreciate it!
Post a Comment