One of my sick pleasures in life is a Krispy Kreme cream filled doughnut. I loooooove them. Everytime I eat one, I can tell why people probably think the lard filled, cream filling is disgusting, but it just makes me love them more. Kind of in the same way that a deep fried candy bar sounds like a great idea to me. Well, I sent Joe to the Bruno's yesterday morning for tailgating food, because there was no way I was preparing anything in time for a brunch tailgate. I asked him to get some Krispy Kremes, but I was not specific about what or how many. Well, my wonderful husband delivered in spades - 1/2 dozen glazed, 1/2 dozen glazed cream filled, and another 1/2 dozen chocolate iced cream filled (Joe's personal fave). It was just enough that maybe most of them would get eaten at the tailgate, but maybe we would get to bring some home to enjoy. That is exactly what happened.
I ate most of one while on campus, along with a plateful of other wonderful breakfast treats (awesome cheese grits, ham rolls, blueberry bread pudding, etc....), and I noticed that I did NOT manage to scarf the doughnut down in record time, but I didn't think anything of it. I was talking, snacking on other goodies, trying to remain presentable......plus Jacks was digging into my plate, too, so I did not yet notice my new inability to eat a Krispy Kreme.
Late last night, Joe and I were watching the tail end of a movie, it was a perfect time for an overindulgent goodie, and those doughnuts were just sitting in there waiting to be enjoyed. I asked Joe to please bring me one on a plate, because I was going to enjoy it for a while. So, he did (love him!). With the first bite, I knew, this was not going to work out well. Everything I loved about these treats all of a sudden seemed gross and teeth grindingly painful. Still, I persisted - how could I not enjoy this thing? It is a once in a while treat - I have to enjoy this! It took me the better part of an hour to get it all down, and every bite was difficult. How could this one sick pleasure be stolen from me while I'm pregnant, of all times? This baby, my precious second child, who I will love more than life, has stolen Krispy Kreme from me. I should look at it as a blessing, because it will probably spare me a good ten pounds by the end of my 40 weeks, but I cannot help but feel sad and mournful for the loss of a beloved friend.
I have adored Krispy Kreme for my entire life - they were always there on our way home from the Pensacola Symphony when I was little. Always a dozen assorted and a dozen glazed to be enjoyed that night and the next morning for breakfast. Their "hot doughnuts now" sign would flash, and a local radio station would go fuzzy, alerting the town of the mouth watering pastries coming fresh out of the fryer. Now, I live in a town without a free standing Krispy Kreme, and I have often considered hijacking the truck as it sits idle outside the Bruno's grocery store making a delivery. These evil, fat laden treats are like your mischievous friend, they make you misbehave and enjoy every evil minute. But not anymore, not for me while I'm pregnant with this baby. Maybe I'll get to enjoy them again someday, but for now I will have to go without. So sad!!
I ate most of one while on campus, along with a plateful of other wonderful breakfast treats (awesome cheese grits, ham rolls, blueberry bread pudding, etc....), and I noticed that I did NOT manage to scarf the doughnut down in record time, but I didn't think anything of it. I was talking, snacking on other goodies, trying to remain presentable......plus Jacks was digging into my plate, too, so I did not yet notice my new inability to eat a Krispy Kreme.
Late last night, Joe and I were watching the tail end of a movie, it was a perfect time for an overindulgent goodie, and those doughnuts were just sitting in there waiting to be enjoyed. I asked Joe to please bring me one on a plate, because I was going to enjoy it for a while. So, he did (love him!). With the first bite, I knew, this was not going to work out well. Everything I loved about these treats all of a sudden seemed gross and teeth grindingly painful. Still, I persisted - how could I not enjoy this thing? It is a once in a while treat - I have to enjoy this! It took me the better part of an hour to get it all down, and every bite was difficult. How could this one sick pleasure be stolen from me while I'm pregnant, of all times? This baby, my precious second child, who I will love more than life, has stolen Krispy Kreme from me. I should look at it as a blessing, because it will probably spare me a good ten pounds by the end of my 40 weeks, but I cannot help but feel sad and mournful for the loss of a beloved friend.
I have adored Krispy Kreme for my entire life - they were always there on our way home from the Pensacola Symphony when I was little. Always a dozen assorted and a dozen glazed to be enjoyed that night and the next morning for breakfast. Their "hot doughnuts now" sign would flash, and a local radio station would go fuzzy, alerting the town of the mouth watering pastries coming fresh out of the fryer. Now, I live in a town without a free standing Krispy Kreme, and I have often considered hijacking the truck as it sits idle outside the Bruno's grocery store making a delivery. These evil, fat laden treats are like your mischievous friend, they make you misbehave and enjoy every evil minute. But not anymore, not for me while I'm pregnant with this baby. Maybe I'll get to enjoy them again someday, but for now I will have to go without. So sad!!
3 comments:
I can't bring myself to eat grocery store Krispy Kremes. We always pick up two dozen on our way home from Birmingham.
You are right, there is nothing like seeing the irradescent glow of the "hot doughnut" sign as you drive by a Krisy Kreme. Oh, and your baby did not steal them from you, my baby plotted with him/her to give you an aversion- more for me! See you tomorrow
This is very sad! When Kevin and I lived in Hoover, we were right by a Krispy Kreme, so often we would jump in the car and cruise to the Kreme ("hot doughnut" sign or not). We would always tell ourselves, let's get a dozen, we'll eat the left overs in the morning...but somehow there were never left overs. That was also sad.
Post a Comment