I have been blessed to have 2 baby showers, but I don't have any pictures to show for either. I'll be sure to post some as they are sent to me. I just feel so incredibly lucky to have been given two showers for a second baby - this is too much!!
Last weekend, my cousin KJ and three of my closest - Summer, Heidi, and Bethel - threw me a small friends and family shower. It could not have been more perfect. A couple of the party goers and hostesses brought their little girls along, so it was an all around girly getogether. My mother was in town for the event, and she had a great time bonding with our cousin Mary Leda - she is always the greatest person to sit next to at a party. She has lots to talk about. We feasted on delicious treats and sherbety punch (my favorite), and I was showered with all kinds of adorable girly things. I am in the process of sorting and washing all of Nealy's new things. I can't wait to get her room situated so that everything can be put in it's place.
Then, this morning I got a special treat. I arrived to school a little early, only to be paraded all around school in search of some signs made for our team until I could barely breathe. My teaching partner, GH, was really trying to keep me clear of the hallway so the students could prepare my surprise shower. Although, after I had walked the length of our campus at 7:30 in the morning, knowing my purse was still sitting on my desk because she didn't even give me time to lock it up, I was about to strangle Mrs. GH! Either way, it was for a good cause. I made it back to my room without passing out, and I ordered my class to give me a good five minutes to sit still before bombarding me with questions. We were watching the morning news announcements, as usual, and one of the students from our team was announced as having a special song to sing on the announcements. I was so excited, because I didn't even know this child could sing. So, I fussed at the class to hush up so we could hear. Then, before he began to sing, for the entire school to see, he announced that this was a special song for ME!!!! He went on to sing a song that he wrote all about me being a great teacher and a good mama - I cried like an idiot. It was so sweet.
Immediately when the announcements were over, I was called to my principal's office for no good reason. It was then that I realized - I was being distracted. The march all over the school was a ruse, the song was a hint, and now an impromptu meeting with the boss? I knew something was up. So, I gladly played along. I've never been given a surprise party, and I was NOT about to ruin the surprise! I went down to Debbie's office, and she made some attempt at actually having something to talk about (but, of course, we ended up talking about clothes, last night's Survivor episode, and more talk about clothes....), then she dropped the act and told me she had to walk me down to the library.
I walked in to find all 110 or so of my kids waiting for me so they could yell SURPRISE!! It was adorable. I got a little weepy at first, but quickly got over it when I saw the amazing cake, the 2 enormous trays of iced cookies (I do LOOOOOVE an iced cookie), and the mountain of gifts just waiting for me to dive into. I cannot get over the generosity and kindness of these kids. Even those with so little to give managed to write me a special card or get me a little something for Baby Nealy. It was overwhelming. My recent (last night) panic over having so little for this child (which sparked a small spending spree on babiesrus.com) quickly went away as I opened one gift after another - diapers, wipes, bath things, outfits, pajamas, socks, monogrammed bibs, hats, books, blankets, toys - you name it! I even got a handful of gift cards to Target, one to Baby Gap, and a ridiculously generous card to Winn Dixie! Of course, my favorite of all the gifts were the handmade burp cloths made by my friend, Ashley, who does an impeccable job with her crafts. Those are the burp cloths I've been waiting for, plus she had them monogrammed for Miss Nealy. It was truly awesome.
Now, I'm gushing. It was truly great. I was so thrilled when it was over that I didn't even dread the faculty/student basketball game. I take that back, actually, I never really dread that game. It is the one sporting event that I enjoy because I don't have to pay any attention to the sports. I can laugh at the teachers acting like fools because they are so serious about beating a group of 12 year olds! My friend Seth did a good job of acting like a fool, grabbing kids by the jersey and even kicking a chair on to the court toward the ref. Later, he revealed that all that athletic activity got him so winded that he thought he was going to have a heart attack, so he figured it would be easier to get thrown out of the game than admit that he couldn't run another step! Good times at Drake Middle.
I will be sure to post pictures when I get them. I hear there are lots floating around out there! Now I have A TON of thank you notes to get to. No one can be left out.
Last weekend, my cousin KJ and three of my closest - Summer, Heidi, and Bethel - threw me a small friends and family shower. It could not have been more perfect. A couple of the party goers and hostesses brought their little girls along, so it was an all around girly getogether. My mother was in town for the event, and she had a great time bonding with our cousin Mary Leda - she is always the greatest person to sit next to at a party. She has lots to talk about. We feasted on delicious treats and sherbety punch (my favorite), and I was showered with all kinds of adorable girly things. I am in the process of sorting and washing all of Nealy's new things. I can't wait to get her room situated so that everything can be put in it's place.
Then, this morning I got a special treat. I arrived to school a little early, only to be paraded all around school in search of some signs made for our team until I could barely breathe. My teaching partner, GH, was really trying to keep me clear of the hallway so the students could prepare my surprise shower. Although, after I had walked the length of our campus at 7:30 in the morning, knowing my purse was still sitting on my desk because she didn't even give me time to lock it up, I was about to strangle Mrs. GH! Either way, it was for a good cause. I made it back to my room without passing out, and I ordered my class to give me a good five minutes to sit still before bombarding me with questions. We were watching the morning news announcements, as usual, and one of the students from our team was announced as having a special song to sing on the announcements. I was so excited, because I didn't even know this child could sing. So, I fussed at the class to hush up so we could hear. Then, before he began to sing, for the entire school to see, he announced that this was a special song for ME!!!! He went on to sing a song that he wrote all about me being a great teacher and a good mama - I cried like an idiot. It was so sweet.
Immediately when the announcements were over, I was called to my principal's office for no good reason. It was then that I realized - I was being distracted. The march all over the school was a ruse, the song was a hint, and now an impromptu meeting with the boss? I knew something was up. So, I gladly played along. I've never been given a surprise party, and I was NOT about to ruin the surprise! I went down to Debbie's office, and she made some attempt at actually having something to talk about (but, of course, we ended up talking about clothes, last night's Survivor episode, and more talk about clothes....), then she dropped the act and told me she had to walk me down to the library.
I walked in to find all 110 or so of my kids waiting for me so they could yell SURPRISE!! It was adorable. I got a little weepy at first, but quickly got over it when I saw the amazing cake, the 2 enormous trays of iced cookies (I do LOOOOOVE an iced cookie), and the mountain of gifts just waiting for me to dive into. I cannot get over the generosity and kindness of these kids. Even those with so little to give managed to write me a special card or get me a little something for Baby Nealy. It was overwhelming. My recent (last night) panic over having so little for this child (which sparked a small spending spree on babiesrus.com) quickly went away as I opened one gift after another - diapers, wipes, bath things, outfits, pajamas, socks, monogrammed bibs, hats, books, blankets, toys - you name it! I even got a handful of gift cards to Target, one to Baby Gap, and a ridiculously generous card to Winn Dixie! Of course, my favorite of all the gifts were the handmade burp cloths made by my friend, Ashley, who does an impeccable job with her crafts. Those are the burp cloths I've been waiting for, plus she had them monogrammed for Miss Nealy. It was truly awesome.
Now, I'm gushing. It was truly great. I was so thrilled when it was over that I didn't even dread the faculty/student basketball game. I take that back, actually, I never really dread that game. It is the one sporting event that I enjoy because I don't have to pay any attention to the sports. I can laugh at the teachers acting like fools because they are so serious about beating a group of 12 year olds! My friend Seth did a good job of acting like a fool, grabbing kids by the jersey and even kicking a chair on to the court toward the ref. Later, he revealed that all that athletic activity got him so winded that he thought he was going to have a heart attack, so he figured it would be easier to get thrown out of the game than admit that he couldn't run another step! Good times at Drake Middle.
I will be sure to post pictures when I get them. I hear there are lots floating around out there! Now I have A TON of thank you notes to get to. No one can be left out.
3 comments:
I just KNEW that Seth got kicked out on purpose!!! :) Your account of that made me laugh!! Sounds like such a sweet shower!!
I am so glad you had such a wonderful shower.
What a wonderful day!!! Oh, I got teary eyed reading it,wow:)
Post a Comment