Jacks's last soccer season was slightly painful. It was last spring, he was 4, he was clearly the youngest kid on the team, there were hissy fits. It was so difficult that we skipped out on the fall season in favor of waiting for a new year - and hopefully an all new, aged kid. Well, we got what we wished for. Jacks is doing so well, we almost can't believe it. See the list below of things he did NOT do at his first soccer team:
1. Quit playing soccer and start playing tag
2. Attempt to start sword fights with team mates with sticks found on the ground
3. Pick up the ball and throw it
4. Collapse on the side line in a heap of tears and anger
5. Pick a fight with his sister for getting to sit down in a chair
6. Freak out over the color of his gatorade
7. Try to eat snacks in the middle of the first half when he is actually playing
8. Decide to wait to inform someone that he had to use the bathroom until just after the game begins.
9. Hide behind my tail gating chair and beg to go home
10. Have a bad attitude
I think we've come a long way.
About 20 minutes into the hour long game, I noticed him getting a little slower, a little more halting, and getting very red faced. I fully expected the "I'm tired" whining to begin any second. But it didn't. I am so proud of my big boy. He made it all the way through the game, he sat patiently on the side line when he was swapped out of the game for a few minutes, and he was still smiling when the final whistle blew.
It was also Nealy's third birthday that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment