Thursday, April 5, 2012

Egg Saga


This is the time of year when we all boil 2 dozen eggs, dye them on the back deck, then put them back into the refrigerator for a couple of weeks when we finally decide to throw them out. Sure, I'll make some deviled eggs from some of them, maybe a round of egg salad, but several will still go to waste. I'm guessing that Joe has decided otherwise.

A few nights ago, I heard him rooting around in the kitchen. Something went into the microwave, then he wandered out of the kitchen for a while to do something else. A couple of minutes later, a smell hit my nose that nearly knocked me the hell over. Apparently, Joe chopped up an egg, added some butter, salt and pepper, then stuck that concoction into the microwave to melt the butter.

I cannot deny that buttered, salted, peppered, and chopped boiled egg might be kind of a nice treat, but I have to firmly stand by the fact that boiled eggs SHOULD. NOT. BE. MICROWAVED. You might ask yourself, how do you melt the butter? How will it taste as good if it's cold? To that I say, melt the butter first, and cold boiled eggs are far preferable to hot boiled eggs. Especially RE-HEATED boiled eggs. I cannot condone this behavior.

I understand that this was a treat that Joe's mother used to make, and she is no longer with us so these types of snacks that are in her style are special to my sweet husband. But, I really think I have to draw the line.

After opening an exterior door, running some fans, and lighting a couple of candles, the smell finally started to evaporate. But it never fully got out of my nose until the next day. UGH - brutal!

The eggs turned out really cute, though.


And come Sunday, I'll eat too many deviled eggs, then spend a little time doubled over on the floor wishing I had stopped eating them much, much sooner than I did.

No comments: