Well, I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me in my email inbox the other day - my cousin Robin received word of my blog and left me a message. Now, I probably have not seen Robin since I was very small. I have heard tales of her great successes in the great north from my father for years and years, as he is a very proud uncle to Robin and her sister Cathy Jo. Plus we are all in shock and amazement at our family members who ventured out of the south and into the rest of the world. Recently, I have had the opportunity to glance into Robin's life on her highly entertaining blog, Drawing In (check it out!!). I have found that my father has always been quite right to brag on her, because she is a wonderfully funny writer with a sharp wit and a keen sense of observation. Her writing tells me that we would certainly be friends as people, not just as cousins.
Well, Robin told me that she would be reading my blog from the beginning to catch up, so I was perusing my old posts to see what embarrassments I have left out there for her enjoyment. And something I said in my children's lit post gave me a thought. I said that all children should experience some Roald Dahl other than Charlie. My off-the-beaten-path Dahl exposure as a child was to The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar, a book of short stories. The copy I read belonged to my sister, and it was given to her by our cousin Robin!
So, I quickly scanned the book shelf to see what Robin wrote to Carrie all those years ago, because I know I've had that book here in Auburn. But, upon checking the shelves all through the house, no Henry. I got a little panicked worried that he had been lost, but a quick text to sister revealed that she absconded with the book on one of her visits. I could pick at my sister here for pilfering my book shelves and closets, but I kind of do the same thing at her house.... At least if one of us has something, we always know where it is. Although I do tease sissy for taking my things, in reality I never feel like anything is lost if she is the one who took it.
Maybe Carrie can post a comment telling us what the inscription said???
Anyway, this seemed like a much more entertaining anecdote when I started out. It seems to be going nowhere - most likely only entertaining to the players involved. I guess the gist is that Henry Sugar lives with us now, thanks to Robin. I did mention that she and I would be friends even if we weren't family, right? This is the kind of thing that tells me that is true.
That, and the message I just received from her this moment asking if I'm familiar with Subversive Cross-stitch. Oh, yes I am, m'friend. And I love that you asked!
3 comments:
"I don't know if you've been introduced to Roald Dahl...this is a wonderful first meeting. Dahl has always been my personal favorite, for as long as I can remember...you can grow up with him as I have. Because he's such a special part of me, I'm hoping he'll become a part of you too."
before i get picked at for this - i know that carrie did not steal that book as it was always rightfully hers.
I was going to remind you that when Carrie and I were penpal Roald Dahl friends you may not have been walking. I had read as far as your children's library book picks and was so PLEASED to see Roald Dahl among them ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a book?" be still my heart.) I stole my copy from MY sister, who I am pretty sure had been given it by our Nana, Miss Maudie. So it is a beautiful story anyway you slice it over 40 yrs.
Thanks for putting me in your blogroll and for your kind words! I saw big brother Bob on Facebook, but I didn't want to freak him out by Friending him. Tell all I say hello.
Post a Comment