Saturday, April 23, 2011

Potpourri


Don't you love the potpourri category on Jeopardy?

It's one of my favorite categories, because in addition to being the perfect category for the those of us with truly trivial and eccentric knowledge, it also recalls memories of my mother's trays of drying roses and tiny bottles of aromatic oils that lined the shelves of our pantry during my childhood. Was making potpourri a fad of the 80s, or is it just a crafting phase? Will I hit the homemade potpourri crafting phase eventually? Do people still use potpourri? Have you ever seen anyone type the word potpourri so many times in one place? I'm pretty sure it's spelled correctly, but it might be one of those words with debatable spelling. Like realize and theater.

Anyway, in an effort to avoid maintaining this blog as one entirely dedicated to birthdays and holidays, I offer you a little-bit-of-everything-that's-been-happening-lately kind of a post. Although I enjoy doing a straight up op-ed textual kind of a post, being that I am a public school teacher by trade and not a professional blogger, it seems best to keep my opinions to myself sometimes. It seems the things I think are okay to say are sometimes misinterpreted by others, and in these difficult economic times, I find it wise to avoid irritating the powers that be - whoever that is. Or is it whomever? I always forget that one, like lay/lie and further/farther. Yes, I know I'm a language arts teacher. Lay off......or is it lie off? Who knows in these uncertain times when the majority of people say "supposebly"?

Anyway......first off, there's soccer. Jacks is getting better and better, although it has been in baby steps. He really needs all soccer experiences to be just practice, because he seems to fall apart in games. The good news is that he got his favorite number, 4, on his jersey, which is an exceptional stroke of good luck because he was the last to receive a jersey.
This picture shows the beginning of a game, which is a good thing to see. Because he's generally reduced to tears and sweat and fits and general pissed off-ed-ness by the end of the game. We are hopeful that soccer will continue to improve.

Next, Nealy has been warming up to Luke a little more lately, which is pretty great since she's known him for nearly half her life. She seems to be much better at being around him when she's on her own turf and she can interact on her own terms. Here she is bringing him every toy from the house.....
You can see the attention pleases Luke to no end.

Next topic of conversation, when my mother comes to visit, she brings dish gloves. What, you don't travel with your own dish gloves? Well, neither does anyone else in the world, except for my mother. The kids love this because when she comes to visit, there are two pairs of gloves to play with, and the fact that dish gloves actually exist in this world is obvious because Queenie wears them all the time (me - not so much. I'm also not cleaning so much, which might be why Mom has to bring dish gloves to my house). A great place to wear them? On your feet....They also put them on the big stuffed horse in Jacks's room.

Next, I've been sewing and crafting. I know, I know - where do you find the time, supermom? HA! Truth be told, I've chosen to neglect the house and my appropriate sleep patterns in order to hole up in my basement and wrestle with wads of embroidery floss. And the result has been pretty great! I've made some really cute things for the kids' Easter baskets (I'll include those in the Easter post - this isn't going to be a holiday post, remember?), and I even made them some outfits to wear to their school Easter egg hunt (well, I guess this post is a little bit holiday).
These pictures show Nealy doing her "happy" face, as in, "Show me happy! Now show me sad," and she acts them out accordingly. That tactic has been working a lot better than, "Say cheese!" Also, you will notice a serious case of bed head on Jacks. Sometimes he will let one of us do something about it in the morning, but lately we've just been letting it be. It evens out during the day, eventually.

And I think that's all for today. The Easter Bunny just made a visit to our house. We'll see if it incites me to write a little something in the next couple of days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bravo on your sewing! Color me impreseed! I keep saying I am going to learn.....