Ok, so I never post recipes on here because none of my recipes are actually my own creation. They are all borrowed from somewhere else. I do manage to put my own spin on things after I get used to a recipe, but that's really just paraphrasing, isn't it?
Anyway, I saw this caramel cake recipe in the newspaper last week, and I couldn't resist. Now, I have to warn you, this isn't a beautiful show cake. I don't do that. I can't do layers, and I don't decorate. This is a very basic sheet cake, and I didn't even make it in my 9x12 casserole dish as recommended because I was using it for a lasagna at the time. Instead I used one of my old Corningware dishes that my mom gave me when I was in college. I still use them all the time. They're all mixed in with the Corningware and Pyrex that I got for my wedding nearly ten years ago, but the stuff my mom gave me reminds me of my childhood. Because it is that old if not older
Okay, enough disclaimer. Here's the cake:
And here's how you make it:
Yellow cake mix - make according to the directions on the box. An extra egg never hurt anyone, and you can use oil instead of butter if it calls for butter.
Toffee chips - toss in about a half a bag of heath bar bit of brickle to the batter before you pour it in the pan.
Then pour your batter in a greased dish.
Before you pop it in the oven - here's the good part - open a can of Dulce de Leche (caramelized sweetened condensed milk - you can buy it like that or you can boil a can of SCM danger pudding style). Save out about a half a cup of the stuff for later. Dollop the rest by spoonfuls over the cake batter in the pan. I had to put it in a bowl and heat it up a little to deal with it because it's VERY thick stuff.
Then bake the whole thing at 350 for about 45 minutes or until it's done all the way through.
When you take this amazing thing out of the oven, let it cool for about 5 minutes (not long) then spread the rest of the dulce de leche over the top like icing, then sprinkle the rest of that bag of toffee bits over the top.
Now, this cake came out perfectly perfect in every way! Even better than I thought. All that dulce de leche that you plop into the batter sinks to the bottom and spreads out to make this awesome bottom crust that tastes borderline burned, but in the good way.
If you do make this, please don't think about how many calories or fat grams are involved. I really don't want to know. I'm still losing weight from all my working out that I hate so much, but if I lose too much weight too fast I won't even know myself anymore. So I eat stuff like this to even it all out. Yeah, right. That's why I do it......
Anyway, I saw this caramel cake recipe in the newspaper last week, and I couldn't resist. Now, I have to warn you, this isn't a beautiful show cake. I don't do that. I can't do layers, and I don't decorate. This is a very basic sheet cake, and I didn't even make it in my 9x12 casserole dish as recommended because I was using it for a lasagna at the time. Instead I used one of my old Corningware dishes that my mom gave me when I was in college. I still use them all the time. They're all mixed in with the Corningware and Pyrex that I got for my wedding nearly ten years ago, but the stuff my mom gave me reminds me of my childhood. Because it is that old if not older
Okay, enough disclaimer. Here's the cake:
And here's how you make it:
Yellow cake mix - make according to the directions on the box. An extra egg never hurt anyone, and you can use oil instead of butter if it calls for butter.
Toffee chips - toss in about a half a bag of heath bar bit of brickle to the batter before you pour it in the pan.
Then pour your batter in a greased dish.
Before you pop it in the oven - here's the good part - open a can of Dulce de Leche (caramelized sweetened condensed milk - you can buy it like that or you can boil a can of SCM danger pudding style). Save out about a half a cup of the stuff for later. Dollop the rest by spoonfuls over the cake batter in the pan. I had to put it in a bowl and heat it up a little to deal with it because it's VERY thick stuff.
Then bake the whole thing at 350 for about 45 minutes or until it's done all the way through.
When you take this amazing thing out of the oven, let it cool for about 5 minutes (not long) then spread the rest of the dulce de leche over the top like icing, then sprinkle the rest of that bag of toffee bits over the top.
Now, this cake came out perfectly perfect in every way! Even better than I thought. All that dulce de leche that you plop into the batter sinks to the bottom and spreads out to make this awesome bottom crust that tastes borderline burned, but in the good way.
If you do make this, please don't think about how many calories or fat grams are involved. I really don't want to know. I'm still losing weight from all my working out that I hate so much, but if I lose too much weight too fast I won't even know myself anymore. So I eat stuff like this to even it all out. Yeah, right. That's why I do it......
No comments:
Post a Comment