April 2nd was Nealy's first birthday. It was a Friday, and we celebrated quietly at home with McDonald's for supper and cupcakes for dessert. The weekend that followed was Easter weekend, so we opted to wait a week to have Nealy's big party. And on the next Sunday, we had a big party. It was actually a fete, you see the theme was French. I found Nealy the perfect dress with Eiffel Towers and a French marketplace scene on it, so the theme for the party was born from the perfect dress.Immediately, a major search for the perfect poodle cake began, and the rest of the French party went from there. Croissant sandwiches, fruit and cheese, sparkling cider and French sodas, face painting and sidewalk chalk, French bistro music from the 50s and 60s, a feather boa on the front door, Eiffel towers throughout the house, handmade tissue paper decorations - it was my attempt to have a perfectly French fete. And it was perfect, from the amazingly beautiful weather to the perfectly pink yard flower arrangements, a tres chic time was had by all. Oui, oui!
Here is the birthday girl modeling her fancy new dress. The pearls didn't last long - they were on an elastic cord, and she kept stretching them out and whapping herself in the face.
Posing with mama before the guests arrived.
The piece de resistance: the poodle cake. If you're on facebook, you need to look up Cakeapotomous, which is my friend Mandi's cake page. Her cakes are works of art - and she has a whole photo album of Nealy bug enjoying her cakes! I will never trust my cakes to anyone else.
The invitation.....
The chalkboard in the foyer......
The smash cake.....
The dining table centerpiece......
I even made tissue paper balls to make the house a little more festive (thanks to Shealy for the instructions). They were placed throughout the house and the yard. And, since I don't know what to do with them post-party, and I can't bring myself to throw them out, they remain throughout the house and yard one week later.....
The birthday girl as she is about to attack her smash cake.....
Post smashing......
She was willing to share a little with her grandfather.....
My cousin Heather loving on the little girl of the hour......
Nealy having a ball with her daddy (notice Joe's French look for the day).......
Jacks with his cousin Morgan.......
My friend Anna and I with her baby Ellis (who is exactly 6 weeks older than Nealy Bug)......
Nealy trying to attack Morgan. One of Nealy's favorite teachers and our newest family member, Heather, is holding Nealy Bug. She was amazingly helpful at the party.
And I want to point out how much Morgan took advantage of the face painting activity. She was extremely proud of her new tattoos.
Jacks and Harper (Ellis's big brother - he is exactly 6 weeks older than Jacks) taking Nealy's present out for a spin....
Cara drawing a picture on the outdoor chalkboard....
Nealy and Ellis. Ellis is walking now, so this picture was hard to catch....
Jacks loving on his sister....
Isn't she a clever little girl?
Overall, the party was a great success. We had several family members and friends in attendance, and some drove from great distances to be here. We are so lucky to have so many people who love our children so much.
Thank you to everyone who helped make this day so special - and a special thanks to Mandi for her amazing cakes, to Kellie for taking so many great photos, to Ashley who painted faces and took even more wonderful photos, and to Heather Lloyd who was my right hand for the entire party. And I can't thank people without mentioning my parents, who came to Auburn 2 days early to help me out with getting the house and yard ready for this soiree. They do so much for all of us.
I highly recommend enlisting the help of as many people as you can to help with your children's parties. I could not have had done it all without the help, and we hope they had a good time, too. We feel like we have some new members of our family.
I could not have asked for more for our little French princess. She is getting so big and smart and pretty and perfect. Walking should be coming soon, but I hope she holds off just a little while longer. I love that she's still my little bebe.
5 comments:
Another stellar event. I hope you are putting together your portfolio for when you need to start your children's theme party production business.
Yay for fetes!
Happy (late) Birthday Nealy!
I love her French dress and the French party theme, very creative!
This just makes me stmile. I am so sorry we could not be there. She looks absolutely gorgeous!
Wow, Katie, she looks so much like you at that age. I can't help but smile at pictures of her. Glad the party was such a success!
Post a Comment